Monday, August 27, 2012

Meatloaf, Mash Potatoes, Spinach Salad, and Mini Cherry Pies

First Dinner 08/27/2012

Tonight was a special occasion it was my Mom's birthday!  So Happy Birthday Mom!

We had my Mom and Dad over for dinner.  I made meatloaf, homemade mash potatoes, and spinach salad with tomatoes, croutons, and sunflower kernels on the side.  For dessert I just did mini gram cracker pie shells with cherry pie filling and whipped cream on top.

Meatloaf:
  •  1lb of 93/7 hamburger
  • 1 Lipton onion soup packet
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup on breadcrumbs
Mix that all together.  Put in a loaf pan and pat until meat is packed in and flat. 

Meatloaf Topping:
3 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs ketchup
1 tbs mustard
Mix together and put on top of meatloaf

Bake on 375 for 50 minutes.  Take out of pan and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.


Homemade Mash Potatoes:

  • I used 4 large baking potatoes you can use 8 small russet potatoes
Peal and cut into small chucks (for lack of a better word).  Boil until potatoes are soft.  Drain water.  Pour into bowl add butter or margarine which ever you prefer.  Use hand blender until butter is melted. Add milk till desired texture is reached. Mix well again with blender.  I usually add more butter than some salt and pepper and stir with spoon.

Spinach Salad:

I had some spinach left from last weeks grocery shopping I needed to use.  I had picked up some tomatoes at the farmers market on the way home to go with the spinach. I added some croutons and some sunflower seed kernels on the side.  Pair with you favorite salad dressing.




Mini Cherry Pies (Thank you Nana)

A few weeks ago my family and I were visiting my Grandparents and my Nana made us these mini tarts if you will.  I had been craving them ever since plus they went well since it was my Mom's Birthday.

  • I package mini gram cracker pies (6 count)
  • I can cherry pie filling
  • Whip cream or Cool whip
Spoon out cherry pie filling into mini pies.  Top with whip cream or cool whip and you are done.





It was a wonderful evening with family and a great meal.  

1 comment: